- Overdues messages are not being sent to libraries for patrons without emails. There is a regression bug with this upgrade that is preventing these notices from being sent. A patch has been written and signed off on, but we normally have to wait until it passes another level of code approval before it can get added to our system. ByWater *may* be able to add it our system on Monday; stay tuned on that one. (If you’re curious, here’s the bug report in all its glory.
- Catalog search slowness: ByWater is still digging around on this one. If you run into a slow search, please send in your search terms or a link to your search results. There’s a bottleneck somewhere, but it hasn’t been uncovered yet. Examples may help pinpoint where the problem(s) are at. This issue may be related to why editing/saving items on records with lots of items is also painfully slow.
- Checkin/out speed issues: You all should be noticing and feeling the normal pace of the system now that settings have been optimized, but I still have heard periodic reports of brief slowness. ByWater is looking into a couple of things, for further tweaking. If you notice any particular barcode run slow on checkin/holds triggering or a slow checkout or slow-to-load patron account, please let us know what that one was. Examples are critical to figuring out what’s going on.
- Atchison & Sabetha HS only: Self check more permanent fix is still forthcoming. Stay tuned. We don’t have an ETA on this one, but it’s being worked on.
What’s Changed/Added in 3.22? (top)
Heather hosted four overview webinars on Feb. 24 and 25. If you were not able to attend those sessions, the slides from those demos are available online. This highlights lots of the new features, changes, and bug fixes in the upgrade that are of interest to NExpress librarians. Here’s an earlier blog post that includes a list of the changes, with the related Koha bug numbers.
Upgrade Reminders (top)
- Be out of the system after 5pm on Saturday evening (February 27). Remain out of the system until sometime Sunday morning (February 28). An all-clear message will be sent out to the NExpress email listserv.
- Make sure to clear your browser cache when using the system after the upgrade for the first time. This practice clears up most issues after upgrades.
- Firefox instructions
- Chrome instructions:
- Open Chrome.
- On your browser toolbar, click the Chrome menu Chrome menu.
- Click More tools > Clear browsing data.
- In the box that appears, click the checkboxes for “Cookies and other site and plug-in data” and “Cached images and files” and “browsing history” and “hosted app data”.
- Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. Set it to the beginning of time so you delete everything.
- Click Clear browsing data.
- Instructions source
- Please report any odd behavior, no matter how small you think it is, or any questions you have to email@example.com.
- Monitor email, the News section of Koha, and this blog post. Major issues and known bugs will be added/linked to this page.
Post-Upgrade Known Issues (top)
- Patron holds searching has been fixed!
The holds patron search is not working as expected. Exact name searches are not returning results at all. A ticket has been filed with ByWater; someone is looking into the issue. For now, either search for a partial name, or pull up the patron’s checkout screen, click the search to hold button at the top, and search for your holds that way. I am hoping this will be resolved very quickly.
- The checkout and holds patron search results screen output is not ideal. Exact name/cardnumber searches work best for now, or use the search to hold feature from a patron’s account. If you try to use checkout search to search for a name that has 1-3 characters, you will not be able to.
- Guarantor exact name searching is now working again.
is not working as expected. Exact name searches are not returning results at all. A ticket has been filed with ByWater. For now, search for a partial name until the issue has been fixed.
- Records searches are returning much slower after the upgrade, especially when records with lots of items are involved. I have seen search results take 30 seconds to return at times. A ticket has been filed about this one.
- Pulling up records with lots of items and editing items on records with lots of items is taking much longer than expected after the upgrade. A ticket has been filed about this one.
- Overdue notices are not being sent to libraries after the upgrade. A ticket has been filed about this one.
- The Koha self check module is not logging in as it did before the upgrade. A ticket has been filed about this issue.
- Holds waiting pickup issue: At least two holds are showing as waiting at a library, when they haven’t actually arrived yet. Please let us know ASAP if you see any of these at your library. A ticket has been filed about this issue.
- The transfer item box (when checking items in) is not stylized as it should be after the upgrade. The buttons are missing. A ticket has been filed with ByWater. For now, the print slip and cancel transfer text links still work.
- Overdue letter (not slip!) isn’t ready yet, so I’m hiding that button until it’s ready to be used. I misunderstood this new feature. You’ll be able to directly print overdues letters from a patron’s account. We probably will be even able to write a report for you to do this in a fairly quick fashion. Stay tuned!
- More issues will be added as they are discovered and/or solved.
Here’s some highlighted new features and a few bug fixes of interest for NExpress librarians for what’s coming when we upgrade from Koha 3.18.12 to 3.22.x in late February. This is not a complete list by any means. Full release notes for what’s in the upgrade can be found under the 3.20 release and 3.22 release categories on the Koha website.
Purchase suggestions (Acquisitions)
- Hiding item types from purchase suggestions form #9468
- Purchase suggestions permission access change (need to investigate this one) #13584
Cataloging, MARC, and Items-Related Changes
- Duplicate existing items #7369
- Clear search terms button on z39.50 search page #7741
- Merge several bib records at once #8064
- Non public notes (items) can be reported on #13023
- Call number browser plugin #13364
- Cataloging search header adds checkin & standard Koha search tabs #13885
- Add ability to merge records directly from cataloging search #13886
- Customize visible columns on items editor #14510
- Attach files to bib records #6874
- Professional cataloging interface now available #11559
- Return of highlighting item being edited to add items page #14276
- Actions menu added to add items page (can’t find bug # right now)
- Failed checkins won’t appear on checkins table #14821
- Nonpublic note will appear again on checkins #13024
- Circulation screen now shows expiration date of holds #13030
- Location column added to checkout table #13492
- Pay all fees button added to checkout screen #14900
- Batch checkout #11759
- Redirect to expired holds tab after canceling hold from holds awaiting pickup report #13838
- Circulation table sorting of titles ignores articles again (A, An, The, etc.) #13069
- Add pickup location to holds tab on patron’s checkout page #9528
- Item specific table on holds page allow searching #13887
- Manually cancel expired waiting hold from returns screen <– more info to come #14464
- Holds count added to Holds tab on records #14557
- Staff warned when placing holds for patrons who owe more than $10.00 #14882
- Staff warned when placing holds for patrons who are restricted #14883
- Patron card sheets are working again (affects only the schools) #14739
- The label creator interface has been overhauled (by an old friend to NEKLS — Liz Rea!) #14667
- Simultaneous Label batch creation collision issues look to be resolved now #12911
- Focus on Add item box #11325
- Staff can now (with set permission) remove public lists #13417
- Search & filter added to lists on staff side #13419
- List printing should work better now #11574, #13986
- Gather print notices as CSV instead of HTML (will be investigating; could make mail merge easier) #11603
- Gather print notices & send files by email (will be investigating) #11678
- Print overdue slip from staff interface #12933
- Long-standing Back button issue now fixed (where patron could be logged back in if browser not closed) #5371
- Hiding item types from search form & grouping item types into one search option #10937
- Duplicate holds fix (when patrons click back button) #5144
- Sort by added to tags results #6950
- Library info will display when hovering over items on record pages #12428
- Show patron expiration date in OPAC #14002
Patrons & Fines
- Patrons ordered in search results by name again, not cardnumber #15109
- Searching by username available again #14782
- Add validation of email address ability #5685
- Send membership expiry reminder notice #6810
- Patron modification request improvements #10904, #12352, #13349
- Show waiting holds expiration date #13853
- Patron lists are more accessible (will be investigating this feature more) #11941
- Circ history permission (need to investigate this one more) #13582
- Fines calculated upon return (need to investigate this one more) #10119
- Patron search box changes #13235
- Fines payment oddity fix #14498
- New Patron menu change #13458
- Cache expiration bug fixed (allows us to hopefully start using public reports in limited fashion) #14735
- Use keyword search to search by report number #10706
- Back button on Error message result for reports #13994
- Downloaded reports will now include report name in file name #14013
- Reports added to action logs #14024
- Clear reports filter button #14029
Searching & Search Results
- Items that are not for loan item types will show as not available, instead of available #3333
- Search results & items available in search results column #13636
- Search by publisher works again #14198
- Parenthesis in subject links don’t break searches anymore #13650
- Accession date comparison in advanced search works again #14861
Staff client changes
- Cron jobs added to logs #13889
- Text carries across search boxes #14189
- Custom sound notifications (Need to investigate this one further before setup) #11431
- Circulation rules additions (will revisit this one after the upgrade happens) — multiple bugs here
- Can add item type groups & hide item types from the OPAC advanced search #10937
- Can hide columns in certain parts of the system (can’t locate original bug right now that added feature)
- Holds queue now shows branch name instead of branch code #13750
- When items are returned branch name and item type name will now display #15216
- Patron detail filter search changes #7380
- Messaging preference table sorted properly again #14621
- Transfers to receive report changes #14356
- Icon changes on patron side #13696
- Change increases size of search box (need to investigate further) #14190
- Icon changes on staff side #14915